Monday, August 23, 2010

Concerned Granddaughter Looking for Legal Advice in maybe a Negligent Doctor Case?

Please only answer if you are somewhat educated in the legal or medical field.





My Grandfather is currently in the hospital. The doctors say he has a blood infection and it has damaged his pace maker and they are considering removing his left leg (because that's were the infection is coming from as far as I can gather) They also told us if he would have been dead in a few days if they had not found this blood infection.





Now, for the last six months or so he has been experiencing these seizure like episodes, I know they are not real seizure, but that's the best way I can describe them because of the way he shakes, from head to toe, during which he has trouble breathing yet he can still talk. They can last anywhere from 10 minutes to 45 minutes.


Last year after getting most of his left lung removed from cancer, he got a blood infection and the doctors had to take out his artificial left knee and gave him a pick (sp?) line where he had to have antibiotics every 8 hours and after about three months they gave him a new knee.





These 'shaking episodes' started shortly after. His old doctor kept trying to give him different medication, ( to stop the shakes) nothing seemed to work. My grandfather asked him to take some of his blood and test it, but his doctor told him ';You don't need a blood culture (sp?) If you had a blood infection you'd be dead by now';





Finally, my Grandfather decided to get a new doctor. He went for an appointment on a Friday (20th) and he got a call Saturday (21st) morning telling him to go to the hospital. He had a blood infection.





So, now to my question (thank you for taking the time to read this and get this far) is there anything I can do to make sure that doctor doesn't do anything like this to another patient? I live with my Grandparents and I have watched my Grandpa suffer and it just makes my blood boil to know a simple blood test would have told us what was wrong with him.








Again thanks for your help. I tried to write as much as I could that I thought would help.


Any information or ideas are most welcome.Concerned Granddaughter Looking for Legal Advice in maybe a Negligent Doctor Case?
I'm sorry for everything your grandfather, grandmother and you are going through. Since he's currently in the hospital under the new doctor's supervision, talk with one of the hospital's social workers about getting a referral for a malpractice lawyer to handle a potential case against the original doctor. Make sure they understand you're not talking about the hospital or the current doctor and they might steer you in the right direction or explain to you why you shouldn't pursue it since they would have all of your grandfather's medical info.





I hope you grandfather gets better quickly now that they've identified the blood infection. But those can be very difficult to treat. My best thoughts are with you all.Concerned Granddaughter Looking for Legal Advice in maybe a Negligent Doctor Case?
I would ask an attorney.

No comments:

Post a Comment