Monday, August 23, 2010

Should I seek legal advice if they don't offer real solutions?

I was attending a school for about a year and when I tried to apply for the last quarter (the school works in quarter sessions) they told me that the loan perid had still been open from my previous school when I entered the very first quarter and was automatically kicked out of the system. No one noticed this during my first quarter so I attended classes for two more quarters. I had financial aid, pel grant and a loan at this private school and they say they got none of it. So I missed the last quarter of school and the only advice they have for me about this $10,000 payment is to get a private loan.





I really don't think this situation sounds right at all. I did everything I should have done and worked very closely with my FinAid advisor (who no longer works there) and was assured they the glitches were taken care of and I was fine.





I am scared that this payment which I would not have had to deal with until after college will ruin my credit or they will garnish my pay or something.


(out of 4 people in my church who attend there 3 of us had different sorts of FinAid problems)


What do you think, and what should I do?





Sorry if this was long!Should I seek legal advice if they don't offer real solutions?
This sounds like a mistake on their end - I would ask for proof of debt then consult an attorney - because you would not have continued with your schooling if they had told you the rest would be out-of-pocket. It's an administrative mistake on their end and they're trying to hold you responsible for it.Should I seek legal advice if they don't offer real solutions?
The information that was given to you about your loan status may have to be in writing. Many schools have low cost legal services for their students. You may also want to verify if a local Legal Aid clinic can advise you.
Sadly I can't be of much help for that sort of thing, legal advice sounds good though. I can see how it is stressful, pray and ask others to pray for you, I hope other answers come soon!
You can always try a free consultation with a lawyer. Most give them.
I too had problems and still fighting them 10 years later, but the best thing you can do to get to the bottom of the problem is contact FAFSA directly at 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243.) You are correct to say something is wrong. I do not understand how you attended classes for two quarters and Bursar or the Financial Aid office didn't send you a letter to immediately go there office. Someone screwed up. In the event your new school didn't receive the money, but your old school did. Well, they better cough up that money and pronto! Pay nothing until you speak to FAFSA. You need to find out what went wrong first.

No comments:

Post a Comment