Monday, August 23, 2010

I need some legal advice on property damage.?

I crashed into someone's car and broke the windshield on the back. I was not driving, I was on my bike. And the car was parked on the side of the road and there was no one inside. I didn't do this on purpose of course. Then I called the ambulance and the police came as well. Later, I got a call from the car's owner's insurance company telling me to pay for the damage. Instead of paying money, can I offer to repair the car at an auto shop? Because getting a repair at an auto shop cost less than the actually damage payment. Or do I absolutely have to pay for the damage?


In case that the owner has already repair the window, can I ask for the receipt of the repair and just pay that amount?


What are the legal process for that? Do I have to go to court? I need some legal advice on property damage.?
You understand that this can all be covered from your auto insurance? Just as if you were on a bike and you were hit by a car.





If you want to handle it away from your insurance and are paying out of pocket, you have every right to see the estimate or final repair bill. If the owner or the insurance carrier has already paid, yes you do owe the full bill. They have a choice of repair shops.





If it was going through your insurance, the other carrier would have to submit an estimate to your insurance also.I need some legal advice on property damage.?
You absolutely, 100%, have to PAY that person for the damage you caused. You are entitled to only have to pay a reasonable cost but you will pay. I would suggest you tell him to file it under his insurance and they will work out a payment plan with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment