Saturday, July 31, 2010

I need some legal advice, what should I do in this situation?

A while back in 2007 an energy company called Universal Gas and Electric called my house and spoke to my mom about making them our energy provider. My mom doesn't speak English so she had my 16 year old brother talk to them and for some reason he switched to them, the bill was in my mom's name. About a year and half later we switched the bill to my name so that it might increase my credit score. Now we recently moved and cancelled with them (Universal) and they claim that I owe them a $250 cancellation fee because we had a 5 year contract. I was never made aware of a contract and neither was my mom or little brother and had I known that it was a 5 year contract I wouldn't have switched the bill over into my name. They have sent it into collections. What should I do? I feel like I have been scammed and they don't deserve the money and I never signed into a 5 year contract, neither verbally nor in writing. What would you do if you were in my position?I need some legal advice, what should I do in this situation?
You can't enter into a contract until you're 18. Even if you were 18, your brother wasn't when the contract was formed. I would call them and tell them this fact makes the contract void, see if they back out.I need some legal advice, what should I do in this situation?
If i were you i would contact the company and ask for the contract agreement. They have to have a written contract from you. If they don't have one then you should be able to dispute the charge. Thats what i would do.

No comments:

Post a Comment