Thursday, July 29, 2010

Rented flat heating legal advice needed please.?

have been a tenant in a privately rented flat for 6 years-always paid my rent on time and been a good tenant.





It has a gas central heating system that has kept breaking down-and the landlord kept fixing.





It has now totally gone,and the spare part needed to repair it,is now obsolete-so he would have to replace the bolier-which he says is too expensive.





He has brought me a few plug-in electrci heaters and said that is all he is prepared to do.





So now I have no proper central heating,and it will cost a lot more to not keep as warm !





They are just plug in radiators-expensive and inadequate-I won`t even be able to dry clothes on a clothes horse very fast now.





I work full time,and the landlord was very strict about that-but I may as well rent a cheaper flat now.





Does anyone know where I stand legally?Rented flat heating legal advice needed please.?
What he is doing is ILLEGAL.


either call CAB or try your local council's health and environmental dept.


My cousin has just brought a case against his landlord.. (He buckled before it went to the courts and he paid up) for the same problem.


Please look at your tenancy agreement and talk to your letting agent if you have one, then write a letter, send it recorded (Keep a copy for you) and demand that the work be carried out within a REASONABLE time period (As it's winter id say 4 weeks) if this doesn't work then you can bring a case (Contact the council)


The landlord must provide WORKING Standard heating and plug in radiators/heaters is NOT.


YOu do NOT have to put up with this slum lord.


Also some people on answers I have seen say withold your rent but this is breach of contract on your end and he could evict you. Good luck and don't forget you have a legal right to health and safety!


I feel for you I really do! :0) I also rent from a rotten landlord


Good Luck! :0)Rented flat heating legal advice needed please.?
In theory you should get the same as what you had previously. Since when you signed the agreement you had central heating and I am sure he advertised it as having such. As you have realised the cost of heating will go up and in return your rent should compansate and go down.





Have a check on the shelter website as they give great legal advise. Even email them, as they will answer quite quickly.
Go to CAB they will help you on this one
Legally a landlord has to make sure a property is windproof and water tight. The landlord doesn't have to provide central heating.





I would say find a new flat if your not happy because unfortunately the landlord doesnt have to do anything about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment