Saturday, July 31, 2010

In need of legal advice..parents...housing situation...?

I'm sixteen years old, I live in Illinois. After 20 years of marriage my parents are splitting. My dad has always been a crazy drunk, im surprised my mom lasted this long. Anyway, she now lives with her boyfriend, I live with my dad and brother. The parents are not yet divorced. Mom comes by to see my us every other day or so at least. But my dad is out of control. All he ever does is scream at me, and I can't stand it. I'm afraid of living with him. He would never physically hurt me but the verbal abuse is to much for me to handle. My mom understands, ';its why she left.'; I could go live with my mom and her boyfriend, but I would then have to change schools, and I would feel uncomfortable, i've never met the guy and don't think he would like me living in his home. My wonderful best friend invited me to stay with her and her family, I love her mom to death and they would take me in in a moment. I think this would be best, to give myself a stable home enviroment and still attend highschool, where I am a sophmore. My mom has no problem with this, but shes afraid social services might find out and get her in trouble. So my question to you, can I move out, and stay with my friend and her family in my familys hard time, to seperate from my dad without legal issues like having to go through emancipation or adoption or risking getting my parents in trouble? In need of legal advice..parents...housing situation...?
Personally, I would move as soon as I could. Keep working my butt off and get the best grades possible. I would be an ideal student. Then if the social worker did come. I would tell them that I needed to make the move so I could do well and possibly go to college. That the environment at my Dad's just wouldn't let me do this. And changing schools would hurt me scholastically.





I really think you could pull this off. Especially if you can get the school to document your improvement. It would be hard, but then after graduation, you will be in a better position to fend for yourself.





You could also consider a military career or enlistment to get the skills you need for a good job. Hey if you are going to have a good life, with the situation you are in, you're going to need to make a maximum effort.





Good luck to you and God bless.





In response to the ones who say that you can't make the decision. It is your life and if you are acting like an adult, you tend to get treated as one. By improving yourself in a responsible manner, it is likely the system won't take that away from you. Social services has problems we can't imagine and they most likely will not spend effort to put you in a worse situation. There are questions about the money for your support, but that is just to see who pays what to whom. You won't see any money, but if your friend's mom is willing, you can survive and thrive.In need of legal advice..parents...housing situation...?
These a big decision for someone who is 16 why don't you just call and talk this over with someone at the social services center?
Why did the abusive father take you and your brother over the gentle loving mum?





You explain that your father is always abusing you.


You explain that living with mum and changing school is uncomfortable.





In my old eyes the second one is the lesser of the two evils.


That is unless your projecting an unjust image of your dad.


Uncomfortable is a long way short of being abused daily.





You explained how living with mum is not a good idea as you have not met her partner and you claim he wont not like you living there.


How can you say how a man you have not even met thinks. I find that strange.





If it was my mum I would want to know the guy mum is with. When we form a relationship with a mature age person, most often that brings with it children. If he love your mum he will accept you as part of her. He simply cant say, abandon your daughter.





You also speak about living at a friends place.


Why should this family be put out? Who going to cover the cost?





You also speak about child services.


I have no idea of your local laws but I do know these places are there to service you. Rather then assume what they will do why not contact them and get advice. That is why they are there.





I am sorry but in my eyes you appear to be manipulating events to get what you want. To live with your friend.





If I had an abusive father I would prefer to change school if that stopped daily abuse. I would not go to the friends place as you simply dont know what goes on there behind closed doors.
YOu certainly cannot make this decision. Your parents could choose to have you stay with your friend, but yu don't get to decide.





If your mom is okay with it, you need her to discuss it with your dad. Otherwise, your only choice is to stay with mom or dad. Unfortunately, your mom does not have the power to take you from your dad's home and place you elsewhere. Barring legal custody agreements, she has the right to take you, but only to her won custody.



No comments:

Post a Comment