Saturday, July 31, 2010

I need Wise, legal advice?

Is it possible to be sued in court for owing 2-3k? what happen is I bought a used car a yr ago. The salesman lied to me big time. i gave a downpayment of 2k for a full loan but he said that it wasn't enough. He offered to lend me money for the car so i signed a IOU. After buying it, there are so much problem with the car like my car warranty was void, foreign country outstanding tickets, condition of the car was terrible, my car's engine gave me the biggest headache and repairing it costed me a bomb, which it's amount is even much more than i owe him. I told him abt the repair and he didn't bother at all. Aft handing the car over to me and i found out that the road tax is expiring in another 10 days, i informed him and said that he offered 1/5 of the price of the roadtax. I told him that the car workshop said that my car's warranty has been void and he didn't even bother. So i decided not to pay him the money i owe him because i felt that i don't owe him either. what should i do?I need Wise, legal advice?
Assuming you are in Singapore, did the salesman lend you the money for the downpayment as a personal loan i.e. a loan from him or was it a service offered by his company i.e. a loan from the company?





The fact you were persuaded to borrow money to make the downpayment is fishy; most financial institutions lending you the money would either accept a lower downpayment and subsequently higher instalments or would refuse to lend you in the first place.





If the loan was made by the salesman or by his company and interest is being charged, it might constitute as an illegal loan as only licensed institutions like finance companies and banks can make loans with chargeable interest. Ergo, the lender is an illegal moneylender and loans of this nature is not payable.





Regarding the issues surrounding your purchase, it appears the salesman have misled you on several counts. However, if all his promises were made verbally, it would be difficult to prove that he misled you.





You should engage a legal professional to explore your options in this situation.I need Wise, legal advice?
I would like to comment on this case but am not sure if its still on-going or is it too late. No hoax, and entirely free. I am a retired lawyer. So if this case is still ongoing, perhaps you could drop me an email and I could share some advice. Thanks.

Report Abuse



You need to get access to your Legal Rights. I can provide you access to an Attorney/Law Firm in your State. Please contact me by clicking my picture. I will save you time and money on getting the Legal advice you need. Hope to be of service to you.
Yes you can and probably will be sued for it. It is possible to be sued in court for less than $100.00. It also seems that the courts would rule in favor of the salesman, and tell you you are suffering fro buyer's remorse. If it was a used car then you don't have a leg to stand on. However if you have documentation where it states the warranty is in fact in effect, and proof that you were informed it was not, you might have a defense. Any time you purchase a vehicle secondhand, the best bet is to have a qualified mechanic check it out first. It might cost you 50.00 but will save many headaches in the future.
What country are you in, a road tax? In the USA to have a car dealer do what that salesman did would have their license revoked and it would be closed down. A commissioned sales person can't lend you money to buy a car! They are to have a private office for any financing and only the owner or trained finance personal can do the paperwork for loan approval. Check you local business laws and requirements to be a dealer. Forget the IOU, it's not legal. It appears to me usury laws were violated.
YES U CAN BE SUED
Well, you or I can be sued for almost anything. So, yes the guy can sue you. However, it appears that some consumer protection issues are involved. First I would make sure that I have documentation to prove EVERYTHING. Receipts for the purchase of the vehicle, receipts for every bill, payment, expense associated with the vehicle. Remember, if you have to go to court you want to have documentation and proof to substantiate ALL the facts and circumstances. Also, I would go ahead and report this business and/or person to the Better Business Bureau, as well as the Consumer Protection Division of your state's Office of the Attorney General. Remember, many attorneys will give you one free consultation to discuss your case with you. That would also be a good idea. I wish you the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment